After replicating Ella’s lovely ball gown from Disney’s Cinderella (2015), I decided to make an upgraded version.
My goal in making this dress is to offer you a ballgown that looks and makes you feel like Cinderella with Prince Kit by your side.
The original dress in the movie has 270 yards of fabric; my upgraded remake has 270 yards of fabric! This upgraded version has much of the same details as the original dress used in the movie.
~ The Details ~
- The bodice is fully lined and boned (this stabilizes the bodice and keeps it from wrinkling). Even though it is fully boned, this dress is made to wear with a corset. Made of several layers of silk gauze (same as skirt), organza, and barbie organza with a stiff lining, this bodice has a unique iridescent appearance. The barbie organza is an iridescent fabric that gives glimmer to the bodice as well as the skirt.
- The bertha (the puffy edge) has several layers of 100% silk gauze, organza, and barbie organza. 28 HANDMADE butterflies are attached to the bertha (the colors are mainly blue, but with the addition of some yellow, gold and teal). For the ease of storing, the bertha is fully detachable.
- At the very base of this enormous skirt, lies a steel hoop skirt. When designing this hoop skirt, I took measures to match the style of the one worn in the movie. The structure of the hoop skirt is steels boning, encased in cotton. In order to hide the hoop skirt (in case of twirling) I’ve created a detachable cover for the bottom few hoops. Attached to this cover is a few layers of frills.
- On top of the hoop, lies the majority of the skirt. This is the petticoat! Made up of yards and yards of fabric, the petticoat has several layers. Each layer to the petticoat has a vast amount of gathered frills attached. In total, the petticoat has 1/3 mile of frills! All these frills are varying colors to create a beautiful watercolor effect. This frilly petticoat is sure to bring a delightful and stunning appearance! To add a unique touch to the frills, many of them are sewn with fishing line in the hem. This added technique creates curly, yet soft frills.
- Next comes the many layered skirt! Giving even more of a glittering appearance, the skirt is made of 8 layers of sheer fabric! Various colors make up this glimmering skirt; Lilac, Green, Lavender, Silver, & Light Blue. Many of the layers are made of 100% silk gauze. There are also layers of organza. The combination of fabrics and colors gives the unique, iridescent look as well as the puffy, floating look. There’s also an iridescent barbie organza layer. This is the shimmering layer you catch a glimpse of when Ella dances, but also is a source of glimmer in the skirt! Each layer of the skirt has around 13 yards of fabric.
- The outermost layer is the gorgeous blue silk with crystal gems! There are thousands upon thousands of hand-attached crystal gems in various sizes among the many yards of the skirt.
This costume is custom made, so please contact Bella Mae before purchasing.
Thank you for looking and if you have any questions, be sure to send them our way!